Saturday, November 29, 2014

Who Says?...International Research Topics in ECE

This week's assignment was to take a look at current international research topics and to find out what questions are being asked in different parts of the world that can contribute to our understanding of the best practices in care and education for young children.  The first website I chose to review was the European Early Childhood Education Research Association (EECERA)  http://www.eecera.org/.  
I specifically chose this sight because I was interested to see what questions scientists from distinct cultural backgrounds are coming together to research.  Although I was only able to review abstracts by clicking on the Special Issues tab without purchasing a membership, I was still surprised at how many articles centered on the subject of play, social/emotional dynamics in a preschool classroom, and issues of diversity in ECE.

As I could not go much further with this site, I decided to also check out the Early Childhood Australia website http://www.earlychildhoodaustralia.org.au/.  I was once a nanny in Australia, and know that their longitudinal study of early childhood is often referenced, so I was very interested to see what topics they are researching today.  I immediately bookmarked the page for myself because of the wealth of information and resources I found there.  Under the "Our Publications" tab is a link to the Australasian Journal of Early Childhood, a publication of many research articles you also need a subscription to fully view.  However, a review of the research topics and abstracts lead me to find that studies are also being conducted in this area of the globe around cultural diversity, the importance of play, and social/emotional intelligence.

The insight I really gained from this assignment was the realization that scientists from around the world are all asking some of the same important questions about early childhood.  It helps me realize that although we may share different languages and cultural backgrounds, we are all still striving for the same goal--best possible outcomes for care and education of young children.  Certainly there are schools in Europe and Australia dealing with diversity issues in many configuration.  In fact there are school around the world trying to discover the best ways to contribute to the social/emotional intelligence of a child in hopes of making positive contributions to society as well as their specific community.  Certainly others around the globe are discovering the importance of play in the development of young children's brains and bodies and working to create policies and practices that protect time and space for young children to experience play.  What a relief!  Everybody is on the same page.  While these questions are being asked in different ways, in different languages, using different methods, and resulting in many new and different discoveries/insights/understandings, the outcome is a collective amount of scientific research and knowledge that is useful to anyone working in the EC field.

So, the next time I am faced with a line of conversation about why we need more academic standardized testing in our preschools, I can respond with valid scientific information that supports the importance of play in a young child's life to foster academic skills, it's contribution to healthy development, and how we must work to protect it for both our children and the future of society.  When they ask me, "Who says?"  I can respond, " the International Scientific Research community says..."

Reference:

European Early Childhood Education Research Association (EECERA): 
http://www.eecera.org/

4 comments:

  1. Angie, I really enjoyed reading your post. You are absolutely right, researchers around the world are facing the same kinds of trends and issues in early childhood and I agree with you what I also found more prominent topics in EECERA journal are topics related to child's socio-emotional and physical development, play and cultural issues. If researchers are still interested in demonstrating the relevance and importance of some critical elements pertaining to early childhood such as play in preschools, that means I believe that there is still a long way to go in the Early Childhood field to make one and all agree what is more important for children of that age and what do they need for a healthy development and how do we best teach them.

    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Angela!
    I find it ironic that I could not find anything on the site you found useful information on, and I found useful information on the site you dismissed! It demonstrates how this world goes around.
    Look back at the EECERA site, under Journals, then under "the back catalogue is fully searchable" link. You will find many useful articles for future reference, including the most recent research on the importance of play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Renee...isn't that funny! That's also what I love about the design of this program. It really helps us learn from each other!! I will take another look.

      Delete
  3. Hi Angie,
    I also enjoyed the Early Childhood Australia website. Thank you for sharing all the wonderful information that you found. I came to a similar conclusion about the small world of ECE but found very different information being researched. I was surprised to see such a focus on quality improvement in child care and professional development. I am glad that their is also such a large focus on social-emotional development and play. -Mary Malepsy

    ReplyDelete