Saturday, October 24, 2015

The Long Haul

Dear fellow classmates, colleagues, Dr. Embree, family and friends,

     Today marks the completion of my Master's program in Teaching & Diversity in Early Childhood Studies at Walden University.  Taking this path is one that I had never dreamed of, and now that I am at completion, I dream of many more that I would have never thought possible before now.  My experience in this program has taught me that I not only have a voice that can make a difference in this world, but I also can join with many other voices in the ECE field to bring creative, collaborative, solutions that can potentially make the lives of every child richer.  For many years, I struggled find my place in this world and fully realize my calling.  I struggled financially, lost confidence and self-esteem, and almost walked away from my passion and the profession.  I am here today to tell you how glad I am that a friend introduced me to this program.  The knowledge, validation, support, self-reflective experience and connections that I have gained through this process is invaluable to my life and my future as a human being and an early childhood professional.  When I thought I was buried, this process has taught me that I was only planted.  Now is my time to grow and blossom.  In doing so, I hope to bring love and light to the lives of the many young children and families I hope to serve.
     My goals now are to travel around the country seeking professional development opportunities in which to provide Anti-Bias trainings to preschool programs, parents and professionals.  To my colleagues in this program, I hope that we can continue to connect and collaborate in various ways to share our experience and expand our outreach to serving young children through best practices and the sharing of innovative and creative ideas that lead to optimal outcomes for their lives and education.  Individually and collectively, we are making a difference everyday.  I am both proud and grateful to also have been a part of your journey and wish you all the best in all of your future endeavors.

     A special thanks to Dr. Embree and all of her hard work and commitment to helping her students shine and bring light to the world through their works.  I will continue to blog often as I have loved taking on this format to share ideas and connect, so please follow me and keep in touch.  Hopefully, one day, our paths will cross again!

Thank you--and Congratulations to ALL!
Angela Oliver

1 comment:

  1. Angela,
    I had to take some time as we finish this journey to tell you how much I have enjoyed reading all of your posts. You have a great ability to write and express your understanding. I will definitely continue to follow your blog and hope that you are successful in your work of professional development across the country. I wish you the best and congratulations on completing this program.

    ReplyDelete