Saturday, August 1, 2015

Evaluating Impacts on Professional Practice

     Studying anti-bias education and curriculum has opened my mind and heart to understanding and dealing with the many -isms in our society including racism, classism, LGBTism, ableism, etc.  I am learning many new strategies and teaching techniques to combat the impact of these real world realities on the young children I serve.  However, I am not only an early childhood professional, I am also an individual who has been impacted by these social mentalities.  And yet, I had never fully thought about how my experience as an individual specifically battling with classism might have an effect upon the children I serve.  Because our personal and professional identities are intertwined, it is important for us to take a step back to uncover how we fit socially and emotionally into the lessons we are trying to facilitate through anti-bias curriculum/work.
     I began working with young children and families in high school as a respected and coveted babysitter.  In college, I expanded my work into more preschool settings.  As I began to grow as a human, I sought out more diverse and philosophic work in International, Montessori, and Waldorf preschools.  Yet, no matter which program I was involved with, I struggled to make ends meet and resorted to supplementing my income as a waitress on the weekends and evenings.  Soon, I realized that I could make higher wages working privately with families as a nanny.  I excelled at this under many different work and family dynamics including cultural and language diversity, live-in situations, co-op/family share scenarios and traveling nanny excursions to foreign countries.  Working privately improved some of my working conditions and provided some perks, yet I was still earning poverty level wages and often considered as more of a servant than respected teacher in the home.  This lack of respect began chipping away at my own self-esteem by continually being reminded that I was considered a second class citizen even if I was the most valued outsider in the home; I always knew I was family one minute and furniture the next.
     While I have always valued my work and considered myself successful by the lasting and impactful relationships I have formed with children, it seemed society did not value my work in the same way.  Hugs and kisses don't pay the rent, apparently.  This realization, as well as the fatigue that results from continually living in survival mode and covering it up with a bright smile, almost caused me to make the heart-wrenching decision to leave the field altogether.  Even with a strong passion for working with children, I was never sure that I could afford to stay at work in the field and adequately support myself financially, physically or emotionally.
     Unsurprisingly, I am not alone.  "Inadequate wages, lack of benefits such as health care, and the low societal respect given to the field all have a negative impact despite the best intentions of the early childhood teachers" (Derman-Sparks & Olsen Edwards, 2010, p. 110).  While this remains true, I had never considered how many of the issues I was experiencing with classism were also affecting the children I served.  "When staff leave because they cannot afford to stay, it puts at risk deep bonds and consistent relationships with children; ongoing, integrated curriculum; and strong family-school and inter-staff relationships" (Derman-Sparks & Olsen Edwards, 2010, p. 110).   As I stated earlier, in many ways I felt I was improving my working conditions and pay grade by working privately as a nanny for wealthier families, however this did not improve levels of respect, social status, or effect to my own sense of self-esteem and self-worth.  Yet, I never thought about how this dynamic might also be affecting the children I served.  "In some cases, higher income families may reflect social attitudes about income and professionalism and may not treat the staff with the respect or recognize their educational background or their high level skills" (Derman-Sparks & Olsen Edwards, 2010, p. 110).
     Therefore, advocating for higher wages, health benefits and respected social status is not only in the interest of early childhood professionals, but in the interest of all children, families and community members.  "While public spending in early childhood education has substantially increased in recent years, it has mainly fueled expansion, not quality enhancement to help programs attract, compensate, and retain well-educated teachers and administrators" (French, 2010, p. 62).  If we allow this well of passionate, committed, educated early childhood professional to dry up, then we will all go thirsty--our children, our workforce, our communities, our economy, our society, and our great nation.  By believing in the importance of our work in the early childhood field; continually advocating for fairness and equality in wages and benefits; and speaking out against social mentalities the demean or discriminate against our work, passion and profession, we begin to not only preserve our own dignity, but build a stronger foundation for the field and fuel a sustainable resource for the benefit of all children and families.  Therefore, in the end, improving my own self-esteem and societal value, advocating for fairness and equality for myself and others in the field, and honoring my passion and commitment to the importance of early childhood education in our society has been my biggest payoff and had the greatest impact on my professional practice.  As a special note to myself and others in the field:  Thank you for continuing to believe in the importance of who you are and what you do in the face of adversity and challenge...and continuing to provide free hugs in spite of it all!

References:

     Derman-Sparks, L., & Olsen Edwards, J., (2010), Anti-bias Education for Young Children and Ourselves.  National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC):  Washington, D.C.

     French, R. (2010).  The best of times, the worst of times:  Rising standards and declining staff qualifications in early childhood educations. YC:  Young Children, 65(2), 62-66.


1 comment:

  1. Courtney,
    I too have been in this field a long time and have been lucky enough to have been able to survive with my husband's income supplementing. Had I not gotten married I would not have been able to survive doing what I had a passion to do. Over the years I felt the pains of discrimination when people would make comments that I was a babysitter. I would become so irritated because I had a degree in education and I was doing much more with these children than I did with the kids I babysat in high school. Thanks for sharing and being willing to continue on despite the financial hardships you have had to endure to do so.

    ReplyDelete