Saturday, April 19, 2014

Ideally, ideals create ideas....

Wikipedia defines an ideal as a principle or value that one actively pursues as a goal.  Ideals in the field of early childhood are vast, but I would like to comment on three specific ideals outlined by the NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct and Commitment Statement.

(1.)  I-1.1—To be familiar with the knowledge base of early
childhood care and education and to stay informed
through continuing education and training. (NAEYC, (2005, April), p.2)

This ideal is important to me because it sums up both my personal and professional goals.  I am seeking a graduate degree in early childhood to fulfill this goal and to build upon my experience by deepening my knowledge and understanding of the field on many different levels.  Parents often look to me to provide resources and strategies to assist them, and I want to be able to give them the best possible perspective and/or solution to their issues.  This is also the direction I want to take myself professionally by leading more opportunities for continued education, training and workshops for others working in the early childhood field as well as providing more accessible classes and information for families.

(2.)  I-1.3—To recognize and respect the unique qualities,
abilities, and potential of each child.  (NAEYC, (2005, April), p.2)

This ideal is the reason I am choosing to specialize in Teaching and Diversity.  I believe in my heart that we all have equal value as human beings though we are all given different talents.  It is my goal to help young children and their families recognize and celebrate the unique abilities of every child, to foster their talents and applaud them as meaningful contributions to a community.  We all have different jobs to do that keep society running; by focusing on what we can do instead of what we can't, we all find our own way to function in a group.  It's my goal to help identify a child's strengths, nurture them, and begin to build in them a positive sense of self-esteem and belonging.

(3.)  I-1.5—To create and maintain safe and healthy settings
that foster children’s social, emotional, cognitive, and
physical development and that respect their dignity
and their contributions.  (NAEYC, (2005, April), p.2)

This ideal focuses on an area of great interest to me; one I want to learn so much more about.  It is my goal to understand for myself and to help others in the early childhood field understand the importance of social and emotional development and education.  New research is confirming that cognitive and physical development are hinged on social and emotional development, however many programs are not giving these aspects as much focus as literacy, math, science and physical activity.  Navigating first friendships, negotiating for your needs, developing empathy, self-awareness and self-esteem are all part of learning how to function in the world, and, in my opinion, should be the priority of every childcare or early education center.  Once these issues have been addressed, there is a lot less anxiety for the child thereby creating a calm mental space in which to focus and build more cognitive skills.  It is my goal to enhance social/emotional learning by developing and providing more strategies and techniques for educators to include in the daily curriculum.  

References:

5 comments:

  1. I think you chose some excellent ethics to discuss. All three of them interconnect really well and what seems to be connecting your aspirations of childhood development. Child development is such a huge and broad component and doing what we can to understand and make ourselves aware is going to benefit the children, parents/families and the community around us. Reaching high for our children, will produce more knowledgeable, educated outstanding citizens in our society. Great choices and comments, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you included the definition at the beginning of the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie,
    I really like how you mentioned the importance of developing those first friendships. I believe that children that are placed in a positive early childhood environment are going to be more successful when it comes to building relationships later in life.
    Siera

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for all your support during this course. I enjoyed reading your comments. I also enjoyed reading your blogs. I will look forward to continue reading them during our program.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie,
    I have really enjoyed reading your blog and working with you throughout this course. Your blogs are very thorough, inspirational and meaningful. You provide meaningful blogs as well as comments and I believe you have a wonderful career ahead of you. I wish you all the luck in future courses and in your educational career. I look forward to working with you in future courses as well!

    ReplyDelete