Sunday, March 22, 2015

"Living in a City of Immigrants"--Cross-Cultural Communication Strategies

Steve Earle, an American singer-songwriter, wrote the lyric, "Living in a city of immigrants, I don't need to go traveling--open the door and the world walks in, living in a city of immigrants"  He wrote the song about New York City, but I have to believe that it applies to every city, town and rural community in America today.   According to the Diversity Almanac listed in the article, Interpersonal Communication and Diversity:  Adapting to Others, two-thirds of the immigrants on this planet come to the United States" (Beebe, Beebe, & Redmond, 2011, p. 87).  In addition, "According to U.S. Bureau of the Census population projections, by the year 2025 nearly half of all young adults in this country will come from minority groups" (Beebe, Beebe & Redmond, 2011, p. 87).  What are the implications of these trends?  For me, it means that I want to place more emphasis on learning, engaging, honing and modeling cross-cultural communication strategies in both my personal and professional life in the early childhood field.

Subconsciously, I often adjust my communication style to fit the audience I'm addressing.  For example, I have close friendships with three women (a grandmother, mother and daughter) in my life who are vastly different even though they come from the same family.  For example, if I'm talking to Nana who is 86, I automatically begin to speak slower, increase my volume, and refrain from using a lot of slang.  However, communication with her 26 yr. old granddaughter is vastly different and is more of a banter including quick responses, pop cultural references and an acceptance of the use of profanity.  Essentially, although these two women come from the same family, they also come from different cultures, and I have learned to adjust my communication style with each one accordingly.
However, the issue in not how well we automatically relate to others within our own family/friend group, but how well we relate to those outside our comfort zones and achieve effective communication.  This requires more conscious thought and a willingness to employ cross-cultural communication strategies.

     "Competent communicators want to learn and improve.  They are motivated to enhance their
      ability to relate to others and to accept others as they are.  A key to accepting others is to
      develop a positive attitude of tolerance and acceptance of those who are different from you.
      We suggest three strategies to help improve your acceptance and appreciation of others who
      differ from you:  Tolerate ambiguity, become mindful, and avoid negative judgements of others"
      (Beebe, Beebe & Redmond, 2011, p. 107).

I have traveled extensively in foreign countries where I did not speak the language or fully understand the culture.  My family and friends were often confused by how I would be able to relate and communicate with others.  However, I was motivated to be open-minded, learn about other cultures, mindful that my own perspective might not apply, willing to be uncomfortable, and accept that things would be different than what I was used.  This is an easy attitude to adopt when you willingly travel to foreign countries with a sense of adventure in your heart.  Yet, the point I want to make is that we must learn to adopt this 'traveler's spirit' within our own neighborhoods and communities.  It is one thing to go to another country and do as they do, but a different mindset to accept the vast differences of others in your own country.  As preschool teachers and early childhood professionals in a rapidly changing demographic across U.S. , we must take more active steps toward successful and effective cross-cultural communication strategies.  For, when we open the door to our classroom, it's likely the world will walk in, and we should be whole-heartedly ready to welcome it.

Reference:
Beebe, S.A., Beebe, S. J., & Redmond, M. V.  (2011).  Interpersonal communication:  Relating to 
     others (6th ed.).  Boston, MA:  Allyn & Bacon.

No comments:

Post a Comment